I have a few books on scrimshanding and ivory carving, given to me by The Infamous Engraver (Ben Shelor), and I'll be happy to lend them to you for some splendid ideas and inspiration. Possibilities are limited only by your own imagination and artistic ability!

If you become interested in carving then I'll be happy to show you my tools and technique. There are many approaches to this art and I suggest that you experiment with different cutting tools and carving techniques to find the method that suits you best. Like Paul Simon says in the song, there are indeed fifty ways.....(to do the work, in this case, grin).

Some ideas include knobs on the covers in cased sets, thumb plates on M/L rifles, bead sights, side plates for Sharps Borchardts, initial plates, knife scales & scale inserts, handles for small items as well as a multiplicity of jewelry items such as earrings, pendants, bracelets, inserts and even netsuke if you have some larger pieces.

I've done some ivory skeleton grip cap inserts but am still working on the design(s) to make them appear less gaudy. When used on a rifle the light ivory color seems to absolutely resonate with gaudy poor taste unless toned down a bit.

There are laws limiting sales of elephant and whale ivory and there's a lot of misinformation about it, so I suggest caution. Small scrap pieces such as yours are not usually any problem at all unless you try to sell it in quantity. Please be advised that all fossil ivory is more difficult to carve and finish than elephant ivory, and hippo ivory is as hard as woodpecker lips!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!