Yesterday I called Colt and spoke with Beverly Haynes, the Colt Historian. Her take is the guns were assembled in the Colt factory. She is aware they purchased the barrels. No English connection that she is aware of.

Translated from: http://heuse.spahistoire.info/henriheuse.html
Quote:
From Joseph Riga

Springfield Mass. July 12, 1951 ... I calculated our business since the year 1890 and I noticed that we had bought francs for $ 2,150,000 dollars that we paid Locher, my uncle (Henry Heuse) and son-Riga Heuse. I have not calculated the francs that we received for this amount... the Colt Fire Arms Co. of Hartford Con purchased the most expensive Crolle damascus and six blade Turkish damascus. When the Germans destroyed the manufacture of damascus guns, it was a calamity for Nessonvaux. My dad is the man who bought more Damascus guns, he sold more, all alone, all the others together. These are the Riga who put the Damascus gun in by force ...

Riga arrived in the states to help with the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition. He stayed here and became an importer / salesman for Belgian barrel makers. In the 1940's his son was interviewed by a writer for a small sports magazine and explained how damascus was made and his family's role in importing the tubes.

Here is a Colt 1878 with Chain Damascus. The Belgians produced Chain Damascsus. To the best of my knowledge the English never produced Chain Damascus.

All I am saying here is that Colt has their wires crossed. If the guns were produced and assembled in England, then they had to have English proof marks. When I look at my 1878, I can not find any English marks. Can anyone find them on another gun?

Pete