John Henry Andrew was born in Sheffield in the year 1824. After completing his schooling he was an apprentice at a cutlery facility on Doncaster Street named Wilson & Southern. In 1846 at the age of 22 he became a partner at Richard Groves and Sons of Sheffield who produced edged tools like files, saws, etc. He was a member of the Cutler’s Company and later achieved the rank of senior warden. After 16 years of saving his coins he ventured out on his on at a facility named the Malinda Works. Apparently he was really blowing and going and quickly out grew the Malinda Works and by 1863 he found himself constructing a new facility at Neepsend which he christened(possibly a strong word so maybe dubbed?) the Toledo Steel Works, a name associated with his steel forevermore. He was of the jet-set before jet were even considered as he crossed the pond(Atlantic) near 60(sixty) times. In the 1870s his health began to falter and it may have been attributed to all the hustle and bustle early on, but this is just conjecture. By 1882 he was pretty much forced to retire due to his poor health and this 3 sons took the reins. At this same time he was on track to become a Master Cutler but he decided against it thinking that the pressure might even more lessen his years. In 1881 he was elected to the Institute. He was a patron of the arts and evidently had quite a collection of rare and interesting pictures. Just prior to his death, possibly on his 60th birthday, he donated 2k pounds sterling to charities of Sheffield as well as the healthcare system.

Evidence of their world wide distribution:

“Toledo Steel Works Neepsend Lane
Manufacturers of best warranted cast steel, of all descriptions, for tools, machinery, Wire drawings & c., and general merchants; Depots: 104, and 106, John Street, New York, 90 rue Amelot, Paris; and 42, and 44, Foundling Street, Grey Nun's Block Montreal Canada” This is somewhat of a rehash to the locations PeteM has already posted.

But I haven't found the "why" behind the sourcing of the John Henry Andrew steel tubes by the Belgians. I've read a source or 2 that suggested the Belgian were importing raw tubes? Also I'm curious as to the actual number of tubes sourced by the Belgians(less than 500?)?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse