Peter:
Thanks for the effort. Could the machinery also been sourced from the U.S. of A. I've read a couple of sources that gave that, with the exception of machines used for developing the wood components, noted that most of the other machinery was sourced from the U.S. of A.

Marc has a Belgian source or 2 that thinks that the possibility exists that Nicolas Jacquet might be the source for the locks. I've read on more than one occassion that lock assembly was a family affair with the locks being assembled in the home, sometimes on the kitchen table.

Some collectors and engravers in Suhl believe that the Gesteck, or raw metal components "kit", was sourced by Barella and brought into Suhl where the longarm was completed there by barrel knitters and other master craftsmen. An example or 2 is purported to exist with very similar engraving with the work being attributed to Bemesu or Bernhard Merkel.

I think that WWI may have had some bearing or effect on sourcing. Many of the craftsmen were lost in the event and it may have been that at the time due to external forces Barella had to source outside his normal sourcing lines. There are a host of other marks that appear to be non-Suhl and need to be addressed. I don't see any yet that point to a particular Suhl craftsman. Louis Bougnet was in Liege, and according to his stamps on the longarm was also in Paris, and appears to be a key figure although his task as stamped on the flats is barrel-maker.

Last upon disassembly of the forend iron and it's wooden mate, there is a worn stamp that may, or may not, be the Britte Freres mark of "B. FRES. BTE.".

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse