Does anyone think the following Heinrich Barella peddled example originally was sourced from Theophile Britte??

Barella

Britte finished by SDH-MT

Christophe

After Henri Pieper's death in 1898 sources give that the firm exclusively used Siemens Martin steel, so I wonder if they were sourced for tubes. PeteM can correct me, but it appears about this time that the Belgians were churning out about 1.5 million barrels a year.

Peter, you may be correct in your interpretation and as you say the info is a snap-shot into the sourcing at a specific point in time. Economics, War, etc., changes sourcing lines as well as advances in technology.

Heinrich Barella, born circa 1819 and expired in 1893, was long gone by the time this example was sourced. It seems that an heir or assign to Barella was the wholesaler and sourced the components. Then he either subed the contract work to L.B. and L.B. in turn subed work he didn't perform. Otherwise, Barella subed the work to different independent contractor for specific tasks and I'm pretty confident that little effort was applied in Suhl. Note the proof in the final state and that compulsory proof didn't exist in France until 1962?

Krupp was late to the game and was used solely due to economics and business relationships. I think Witten steel was used more than we realize.

I can't resist a link to the past: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=137432#Post137432

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse