Thanks to Axel E. of GGCA as I now understand why most of the Teschner-Collaths had Witten's Excelsior steel: the Berger lock design, actually Teschner-Collath adopted Berger's design but on a blitz action, is by the Witten steel Bergers, Constans Louis Berger and Carl Ludwig Berger. The Berger name didn't connect, but I knew that they had a very nice glass display at the factory entrance with Walloon steel articles, if I remember correctly, as well as the composition of Excelsior steel and data on tubes that were tested. All along with steel articles of interest. I think Heinrich Erhardt worked at the factory before founding his business in Zella Sankt Blasii. Also Axel notes that in the mid to late 1800 Colt was a big importer of 44mm stock steel from Berger and that the Peacemakers were made of that stock steel. I wonder if any of the early Colt doubles were of the same steel??

Kcordell:
I was browsing thru your marks and I now notice the 8X72 Brenneke. That's a pretty rare bird whether it's a 8X72 Brenneke, 8.2X72 Sauer or 8X72 Collath. Did you procur some ammo for it or just cobble it up to fit the chamber?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse