Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Since the charge which is very short, passes the muzzle very quickly at exit, the pellets are given essentially the same vector. It's impossible for the gunner to move the gun fast enough to create any measureable spread.

That's the heart of it. The shot is traveling down the bore essentially as compact as a slug. The muzzle would have to be moving fast enough to send the leading pellet in one direction and the last pellet (1" behind?) to clear the muzzle in a diferent direction. The entire shot load (if it averaged 1200 fps) spent only 0.002 seconds in the 30" bore from ignition to exit...moving on average just 1 inch in .00006 second.

So, the last pellet leaves the muzzle .00006 second behind the first....how much has the swinging muzzle moved in that time? Help me out here.

Targets can fly 50 mph and a swing-thru shooter can start behind one and accelerate thru it, so we can swing a muzzle at least 50 mph (right?). If so, the muzzle moves 880 inches/sec.....that's about 0.05" in the .00006 second delay from the first to last pellet.
So, if we shot a pattern at 40yds from a static muzzle, then moved the muzzle 0.05" and shot again, we'd be simulating a 50mph swing on a 40 yd crosser. The pattern center displacement would be 2" (?) Can we locate a pattern center shift to within+/- 1" at 40 yds? I think not.

OK, Rocketman.....you owe me a math/logic check. wink