Rocketman- Excellent explination! Thank you! I understand what makes a pattern "good", if you'll permit me to use the term in a royal sense. What I was most interested in discussing and hearing about was the effect on pellet swarm/shot string (however you want to refer to it) of stacking 1 oz of shot in a narrow, taller shot column (IE 20 bore) and sending it down a barrel and through the choke versus placing the 1 oz of shot in a wider, shorter shot column (IE 12 bore) and doing the same thing with it. Does the choke have more time to effect the pattern with the taller column? Does the shot column passing through the choke quicker because of it's shorter length cause better patterning?

I ask this because as a general rule (we've tried this with 8 different guns and it seems to be universally true with all of them...) that a 20 bore firing an ounce of shot in a proper IC choke has a concentrated center (the inner most washer's if you will) with high pellet counts while the fringes of the pattern are thinner, but when we try it with the 12 bore's with that same 1 oz of shot it patterns very evenly, much like the ideal you describe in your post, damn near every time.

Now please understand that I DO infact know that different guns pattern different loads differently and that no two patterns are alike and what knot, but what I'm asking is this...

Does a "light for gauge" payload pattern more evenly as a rule or is this just some anomaly that just can't be explained?

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.