Bridge boy admits he was wrong--not even close-- on the DOB. The new photo of the belly of the action clears that up, even before the stamp. "Strike one" for me.

That second (new) set of photos shows the lock screws more clearly. Gun hasn't been dorked with too much. "Strike Two"

Not pickin' a fight here--but there sump-in' 'bout that buttstock. The configuration is true..but the finish and checkering have me suspicious. Merkel didn't put red stain or finish like that on any gun I have seen from this era--I've got some and seen some more. I smell me a rat...but does it matter? Maybe it's just the photos...

Feast you eyes on that front bead...it raises my eyebrows...I'd call that a "sign of tampering"...and my experience is "where there's smoke, there's fire". But if the gun is working OK, who cares. I'd put a couple thousand shells through it PDQ and see if anything breaks, and take it from there.

You have got a darn nice gun. And I'm the best guy to take it off your hands so it has a better home!

And I promise not to "screw" with the chokes--or nothin' else.
Shoot this sucker just the way it is.

Just funnin' ya.

BB