Originally Posted By: eightbore
Jim, back to math class, as well as physics class. We are talking the difference in the total ejecta weight. I will stick with my "under two percent" figure. You might want to delete the DUH! This is a discussion, not a fistfight.

While you are apparently assumin' that your 2% increase in total ejecta weight will only increase the recoil by 2%, that is also wrong! Go here: http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Shotgun_Recoil_Calculator.htm and plug in some real figures. Try 15 for powder weight, 40 grains for wad weight, 382.8 grains of shot(7/8 oz.), gun weight of 8 lbs. and 1150 fps for velocity. That calculates to 10.56 ft. lbs of recoil energy. Then change only the powder weight to 25 and the recoil energy goes up to 11.4 ft. lbs. That's an increase in true recoil of 9%, not 2%. DUH removed for courtesy, not because you were correct. It surely is not a fistfight. On that, we agree.
I have a very good article about recoil, by Ed Matunas, that appeared in Sporting Clays magazine, in 2001. Ed Matunas is a real ballistician, not just another "gun" writer filling up monthly columns with thinly disguised factory release letters, and calling them personal reviews. It's too long to clutter up this forum with, but I'd be happy to email it to anyone interested enough to email me directly. My e-address is in my profile.
Thank you,

Last edited by Jim Legg; 04/16/10 03:18 PM.

> Jim Legg <