Lagopus, thank you very much. The inscription on the rib lacks the "Ltd.", so 1917 - 1918 it is.

I am unsure whether this man was a maker or simply a broker / retailer (I suspect the latter). The gun came in its original case with label. The label mentions private shooting grounds "for fitting, instruction and practice". It also devotes a lot of space to an animated wood pigeon decoy, called the "Tru-Iss" decoy, and quotes favourable reviews from "The Field" and "Shooting Times". All this would indicate a reasonably large working operation.

Another tidbit comes from Google, which finds an entry in a Christie's auction catalogue for an H. Trulock Harriss sidelock, serial number 21992. The serial number on this boxlock is a 3 digit affair in the low 500's. Perhaps a different serial number system was used for boxlocks and sidelocks?

The only other info that the search engines give is a reference in a collection of the papers of John Redmond (Irish politician). This indicates that in 1914 Redmond had paid Harriss the sum of £350 on an account for 3,600 rifles and bayonets and 50,000 rounds of ammunition. With such a trade one would think that the name would be less obscure.

London address or not, the gun in question wears Birmingham proof marks - Harriss bought this gun from the trade. It is a fairly standard A&D boxlock with 30 inch barrels, straight grip and splinter. As well as the usual Purdey bolt the action employs a Greener crossbolt. The fore end uses a Deeley latch rather than an Anson pushrod. The safety is automatic. There is a generous amount of engraving for a boxlock non-ejector, about 65% coverage. The barrels are well struck and still have a deep black finish. There is at least half of the case colour present. The gun weighs 7.07 lbs. and balances just a tiny fraction of an inch in front of the hinge pin. Best of all, the gun has had a stock extension added (with chequered butt) to bring the LOP out to 14 7/8 inches. Combined with drop of 1.55" / 2.38" and about 3/8th of an inch of cast, these are virtually the measurements I would have ordered!

While certainly no Purdey the gun displays excellent handling qualities and will be ideal for the various grouse, pheasant and Hungarian partridge I pursue in the fall. Until then it will have to be content with sporting clays.

When I purchased the gun, I had never heard of Henry Trulock Harriss. Obviously there is still much more to know, but at least now I have his full name, an approximate date and a little bit of the history. Thank you again for your input.

Anton