Louis Constans Berger was born August 28, 1829 in Witten and passed this life on August 9th of 1891. He was the son of Carl Ludwig Berger and in 1854 founded Guss-stahl-fabrik Carl Berger & Company, which I think later became the Gussstahl-Werk Witten(Witten Cast Steel Works). In 1873 the Witten Cast Steel Works was incorporated while Carl Ludwig Berger was a member of the German Reichstag, so one can only guess at his political connections.

I say this in a preface for a question in the quest of the origin of the "Sl" mark which on this E. Schmidt & Habermann(guess) drilling is coupled with a "Witten" mark.

The "Sl" wasn't a "SH" and I don't think it to be for Schmidt & Habermann as they didn't make their tubes but sourced them.

By the way, Heinrich EhrhardtRheinmetall / worked for a number of years as an engineer for a cast steel works in Witten(I assume Berger but will entertain other options), where he improved the production of train axles. In 1878 the 38-year-old Ehrhardt founded his own small machine tool factory in Zella Saint Blasii.

Kind Regards,
Raimey
rse