Well, once again I'm learning that I need to take better notes and as usual data compiling is going to take some time.

16 bore Sauer(55k serial range) with THURINGIA on left flat & 2 large crown stamps on the right flat so if the crowns are for city/state why the duplicity of crown & THURINGIA? The craftsmen weren't going to expend any more effort on an example that required to complete.

I did find a pre-1910 double rifle with 2 large crowns retailed by Heinrich Scherping and made by Sauer and I'm all but positive it is Mike Hart's. I'm curious if right about the large crown stamp are the words: "THURINGIA IN(???) SUHL"??

The purported quality "Caveman" with a "Staff" stamps may refer to the overall effort on the example as they are usually on one tube only, very near the lower rib and stacked in a sequence. Somewhere I have a couple examples with a sequence of 3 and 4 "Caveman" with a "Staff/Club". One will usually see a single Caveman on the tubes and/or on each individual flat and many times early on the trademark of the caveman will be found in the following sequence: Imperial Eagle, Caveman, S&S(early form) & lowercase gothic g. This sequence is many times found on the tubes. Now the purported caveman quality mark sequence is independent of the sequence and of the marks on the flats noting assembed by a mechanic at the Sauer plant.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse