Haarlem S. Gravenhage(The Hague??-I think I recall the Hague and Amsterdam trade the title of the capital every few years???) appears to be in the vicinity of Amsterdam and as noted the N. V. Nederlandsch Wapen Magazijn V.h. S. de Jaeger is something akin to a state run or nationalized arsenal/wearhouse(distributor??). I think the double was sourced from Liege with the name roll stamped on it. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but if someone has a copy or purchases a copy/original of http://www.antiqbook.nl/boox/steu/29792.shtml , I’d like to know what is in it. But at any rate I don’t think the tubes were made in Holland and for now without seeing some tube stamps, it could have been Liege or Germany, as in Berlin in 1847 Werner Von Siemens founded his firm and then in the mid 1860s Frenchman Pierre Emile Martin added his contribution of heating the intake to the process. To me “open hearth process” sounds like a bunch of indigenous fellas sitting around the fire watching the smoke rise. I think I can locate and post a pic of a depiction of the Siemens-Martin process. I’m leaning hard toward the fact that the name of the tube steel literally has nothing to do with location but rather a composition or recipe. Therefore, if a steel manufacture had a license to produce as well as the composition/recipe, the steel could be made just about in any country.

As posted, Charles Francois Galand was a Paris gunsmith and capitalized on the bicycle craze on the late 1800s and early 1900s. I guess the phrase “if you can’t beat them join ‘em” was put into action in the production of the Velo-Dog revolver, which was a compact/light firearm centered around the cyclist. The term possibly originated in France and the target group was the cyclist for use in dog neutralizing, or other animals posing a threat. It was the Browing Automatic Pistol that led to the demise of the ole Velo Dog.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse