I thought you all might enjoy reading about my “Mark 1” Boresight System. I now have three scoped rifles and figured I could save ammunition and cash by boresighting each one before heading out to the range. A visit to my local shooting supply store left me in a bit of shock over the cost of any commercial boresighter.
Fortunately, I can set up my front rest and rear bag on my dining room table such that the rifle aims out my living room window at a tree, across the yard. So, I thumb tacked a white tin can lid on the tree trunk, as high as I could reach, standing on a foot stool. Returning to the house, I removed the bolts of my Savage 93R17 and my Ruger No. 1. By aiming through the bore and looking for the white, I centered the bore on the can lid. Then by moving the cross hairs to center on the lid, I boresighted the rifles.
At the range, the Savage just cut paper at 100 yds. , while the Ruger was only about two inches left and about an inch high. So, as planned, I saved time, money and ammunition, while feeling pretty clever.
Unfortunately, the Martini cannot be boresighted because you cannot look through the bore, due to the design of the frame. But then at 5 cents a round, who cares.