Mike, the connection between an influx of used Robusts and Algerian independence . . . I'd have to say that's one I've never heard. What's your source on that?

Whitey, I haven't reviewed the threads Drew posted. However, the Robust was undoubtedly France's most popular sxs shotgun. I've seen a figure of close to a million of them produced--by Manufrance, which is short for French Arms & Cycle Factory, St. Etienne. Most of the ones you see will be from the pre-WWII period, although some were imported much later than that. The older ones, in particular, are very likely to have "stepped" barrels, where they fit into the monobloc breech, rather than the usual taper. They were made in several different grades, from very plain--no engraving, just a case-colored receiver--to quite fancy with a lot of engraving. Some of them had retracting slings that disappear into the stock. Virtually all of them have sling swivels, whether they have the retractable sling or not.

Good, solid guns, somewhat heavier than some other French sxs. "Robust" was a good name choice. Fits very well.