I have been researching Martini rifles and W.A. (Bill) Sukalle and have found quite a bit of information. I have been in frequent contact with Jason, who has the Martini-Henry website. If you are interested in quite a bit of information on military Martinis, I suggest you check out his site. I was able to send Jason several clear pictures of the rifle as it now appears with a borrowed Unertl scope.

At this point, I am quite certain that the stock is original to the rifle (It has the typical British markings on the stock.) and that it is a large frame British built commercial rifle that was later modified to smallbore by barrel maker Bill Sukalle. As Bill stopped making barrels in the 50s, that at least gives me the evidence that it is over 50 years since the 22 cal. bull barrel was added.

It appears that Bill Sukalle first chambered the rifle for the 218 Bee, which is a center fire cartrige that takes a standard .224" diameter bullet. At some later date, the chamber was sleeved to accept .22 lr. and the firing pin modified to activate rimfire ammo.

Bill Sukalle was a barrel maker during the 30s, through the early 50s. He was featured on the cover of American Rifleman June 1950 with an accompanying article "Bill the Barrel Maker". If you look quickly, you can find an e-bay ad for a copy of that magazine. The ad includes a picture of the cover, showing Bill at his lathe.

Upon realizing the unique history of this rifle, I intend to keep it exactly as it is, with no modifications. I have fired a couple hundred rounds of Fiocci standard velocity 22 lr through the rifle, and cleaned it quite successfully with a boresnake.

If anyone is interested in pictures of the rifle, send an e-mail address, or explain to me how I can post pictures from my photobucket.com account. It works on other sites. Please be aware, the rifle is not for sale and will not be for sale. I intend to have my older son, who also shoots, inherit this one for sure.