Ah, I had the info I was asking for but forgot that I had it:

GGCA No. 27, Fall 2005, Volume 8, No. 3 – page 14 – Collector’ Corner – Richard Hummell

“My favorite German double rifle is a side-by-side, with a “clam-shell” action, chambered for 9,3X74R, with Greener cross-bolt and double Purdey sliding underlug locking systems. It now wears a Schmidt and Bender …. You can find the history of the maker, Bernhard Merkel, in the book Gebrueder Merkel by Dr. Hans-Jurgen Fritze

According to the book, involvement in the firearms trade for his family began with Friedrich Ernst Ferdinand Merkel(1821-1901), an engraver, and continued by Ernst August Merkel(1853-1912) and by his son Louis Ferdinand(1866-1904). The Merkels became well established gunmakers in Suhl. Bernhard Emil Merkel(1874-1954), son of Friedrich Ernst Ferdinand, founded his own business around the turn of the century(20th), to be followed by his son Fritz(1906-1976)."

But it was Munchen that I had in mind and not Berlin, but anyway in DGJ Volume 8 Issue 3 at page 72:

“The other double rifle(photographed together with the Bemesu) has only part of the barrel text left, the scope mount covers part of it. Only “Bayer Hofgewehr-fabrik, Munchen” is visible, but from an old catalogue, I know that this Gewehrfa-brik in Munchen was Carl Stiegele, so now we know the makers name."

But as almost always the case, a firearms merchant outside of Suhl/Zella-Mehlis was sourcing the talented craftsment of Suhl. Stiegele more than likely didn't make it but sourced if from Merkel.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse