Raimey, not spurious marks so much as expedient ones a la your argument concerning a hypothetical French or Swiss conduit for tariff-defeating exportation. Although [badly] trained as a historian, I have remained pretty much a prima facie sort of guy and speculation on my part wouldn't be supported by much (or any) research. Sorry. I can see the gun and am most likely able to distinguish stampings which appear "expedient" from those done with more painstaking and more highly finished and elaborate punches.

Larry's comment on a price/quality level distinction (stamped on the gun) based on the material for rib laying is very telling about the pride of German builders.

Would the 201s (not the Luxus) have been cased after engraving. Currently looking at a 201e described as coin-finished altho remnants of case color are prominent at spots in the engraving and on the lower tang. The 201 is all ducks and dogs in the art dept. I believe. The distinctively "organic" action bar of the entire series--all lumps, bumps and mustachio bolsters--is both exotic and also just right somehow.

jack