Thank you for the interesting info guys! I've learned something about this gun but there are still some questions. Maybe they can't be answered! Lagopus, the photo I posted of the barrel stamps isn't the greatest. There are no other stamps on the barrels. However because of the photo quality you cannot really see the stamp "NO 4" stamped above the "12" on the right tube. Then there is a number 5 on the barrel flats that matches the "5" on the forend iron. I believe this could be a serial number but have not been able to find one at this point on the action. I have only had the locks out of the action for photos and have not taken it apart any further. Are there any records surviving from Midland? The number 25302 is stamped into the forend wood. Maybe this is a Midland serial No and the #5 is the serial No of the gunsmith that finnished it here in the states. I believe that Roy said earlier that this gun is not checkered in the British style. Although quite worn it looks to me that this checkering was pointed up and not of the flat style typical of British checkering. Also does the rib matting seem out of place on a Britsh finnished gun. This matting requires a machine and it looks alot like Parker matting. Another interesting feature on this gun is the tangs are very long. Top tang right to the comb and bottom tang almost to the grip bottom. But it failed to prevent stock breakage thrue the grip. It's been well over 100 years since this gun was made so maybe some one restocked it and did an upgrade.