L.Brown, thanks for the memories--I like 'em! Glad to know that my Springfield could stand the pressure of the "awesome" .410 magnum ctg., although I have no intention of rechambering this one. I assume that many of the users of "1929 Model" Stevens' had no particular bad associations with that year, being rural folks. When I lived in southern Wisconsin many years ago, I used to discuss famuly histories with some of the landowners I hunted with. Their attitude toward the Great Depression was "WHAT Depression???" (To them every bad crop year was a "Depression" and every good year one more of the "Roaring '20s".).

VERY, very, OT: in addition to my .410 addiction, I'm addicted to crime/mystery trash novels. Reading Don Winslow's "The Dawn Patrol," (those of you who detest SoCal can tune out now--it's largely about surfing...), I find a .410 in the hands of a very angry migrant worker, the first .410 I've ever encountered in fiction. It has a safety (which he can't find), so I bet it is a J.C Higgins bolt action, like your Dad's!