In 1875 per British rules guns with choke began to be marked with both bore & muzzle dias as 10B 11M & also the words "Not for Ball". In 1887 the nominal chamber began to be marked as 10/C in a diamond with the ga for bore & word "Choke" (if choked). At this same time the intermediate sizes also began to be marked as 12/1 for a bore of .740" up to 751" (11ga). Actual choke dia was no longer marked.
Pete;
The description I gave was paraphrased from W Greener, "The Gun 1834". Yes these bbls do have a candy stripe like appearence. The bbls as on a Lefever H etc described as "London Teist" to me have an appearence much closer to the old Stub Twist, but I do not think actual stubs were still being used. I highly suspect their makeup was of smaller pieces somewhat on the order of the older Stub bbls. There is though nothing to indicate to me they were "Twisted" in the bar prior to wrapping. The first type is generally referred to as plain twist & often called wire twist from the appearence of having been wound with wire & welded, though this was not the actual mode of construction.

Last edited by 2-piper; 03/11/09 12:11 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra