King;
700X is a fast powder & one of the type which should be used when low pressures are desired. A 1oz load @1150 fps is condidered a "Mild" load in a 12ga & is the type which should be resorted to. It would absolutely amaze a lot of "Magnumites" what can be accomplished with such loads if they would just give them a chance. I am a firm believer in using a powder within it's design parameters. 700X was brought out as a target/light field powder as a competitor to Red Dot etc. 7625 for instance was not, & I do personally & honestly feel there are some inherant dangers accopaning it's use at extremely low pressures from Inconsistent &/or Incomplete ignition & combustion.
At best a squib may result, I experienced this from a load having a supposed 7K psi & utilizing 1¼oz shot.
"AT WORST" there is evidence to uphold the possibility of an obstructional type burst occuring from a secondary combustion causing the shot charge to become the obstruction, "Nothing Previously in the Bore".
There is a very high probability that the use of "Mild" black powder primers with the new harder to ignite smokeless was what brought on the "Old Wives Tale" that smokeless powders developed their max pressure at a point down the bbl where the walls were thin, from this very cause. Pressure curves show most smokeless shotgun propellants to have a faster burn than did black & certainly "All" which are suitable for use in a shotgun produce there max peak within the chamber itself.
I believe in being Kind to old guns, but I don't believe in "Killing Them with Kindness".
Note that this is not meant to be per-se a pick upon 7625, it's just that it has been so highly touted for such use. Alliant manuals do not recommend such low pressure loads for their Herco, Blue Dot, or even Unique, though they would undoubtably perform very similar & be just as "Un-Suited" for such use.
I personally place powders as Green Dot, PB or simialr rates as an absolute limit for loading below 7K psi. All you who feel otherwise feel free to go right ahead, just don't blame me if one cool day a portion of the side of your bbl departs your company. You might then decide you would have been far better off with a load of 700x, RD etal operating @ 7-7½K psi.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra