I have ran into situations where the upper and lower ribs were put on with the same temp solder . when I find this , I normally set the barrels in a water bath while soldering the upper rib . If you don’t keep the bottom rib cool you end up chasing . Top to bottom then back to top so on and so forth .
Also we have to remember acid core or acid based flux was also often used this can cause rusting under the barrel rib which is best cleaned out during a repair ..
Frankly I don’t see this as a hard fix or for that mater a real issue if done correctly .
The rib can simply be re soldered as shown in the Midway clip or by using wide welding clamps .

As to the screw issue . If the barrels were set parallel and not converged then there will be a space between the muzzles . HOWEVER you don’t see many barrels done that way anymore . Now if the area was back some 4 or 5 inches ?? You might have enough space . But even then you have not sealed the seams . Condensation will build up and the barrels will start to rust under the rib
JB weld ? Ahhhhhhh no

Do it right the first time and then you don’t have to worry about it or say : so far its held .

Last edited by captchee; 12/24/08 07:48 PM.