Quote:
But hey, if you guys want, go ahead and continue telling people that any 2 3/4" hull loaded to the appropriate pressure will work just fine in any gun with a 2 1/2" chamber, regardless of differences in cone length and angle. For that matter, while you're at it, tell them to disregard it when they blow the ends off the hulls. And if they feel increased recoil . . . well, it's all in their heads.

Larry;
I have definately not made any such atatements as that & "YOU" JOLLY WELL KNOW IT!!!
I in fact made the statement "IF" I fired a shell in a gun & the result was torn case mouths I "WOULD STOP IMMEDIATELY" & it did not matter "IF" it had excessive recoil "OR NOT". I have also on several occasions even stated I would not fire shells whose loaded length extended into the cone. I have been generally Fru-Fraued for this, but have stood by it. Neither Thomas or Bell to my knowledge addressed this situation, but Burrard did. Also note I "Have Never" advised anyone to ignore an increased recoil.
Now here is a quote you made back on page 9.
Quote:
That's why we can't really say that 2 3/4" shells, even if loaded to proper pressures, are a good choice in ALL 2 1/2" guns. If you're getting significantly increased recoil and blowing the ends off shells, you probably ought to stop.

Note by the word "AND", as well as You put the excessive recoil "First", this would be quite easy to interpret that one could ignore the torn case "If" they did not get excessive recoil. This is simply not the case & I will continue to warn people that it is indeed possible for conditions to exist which can create an excessive max chamber pressure without increasing the velocity & recoil of the gun. Your continuos use of the terms Stiff, Vicious, Excessive, Brutal etc can quite easily leave the impression on a reader that if they put a load in their gun & fire it & don't "Get their Teeth Kicked Out" they can go merrily on their way & have no fear for themselves or their gun. Now Larry you are a noted Gun Writer & held in high esteem by many (Myself included in all I have read of yours "Other than Ballistics"). You need to be extremely careful here as you can quite easily lead someone into trouble by seemingly indicating it is inevitable that an increase in max pressure "Will Always" result in an increased recoil. An increase in velocity & recoil will indicate an increase of the total average pressure under the curve, but this is altogether different than max pressure. Max chamber pressure is not a "Direct Indicator" of either Velocity or Recoil. While this is strictly speaking a shotgun board, these principals apply equally to Pistol, Revolver & Rifle. Many guns have been Wrecked over the years without the shooter ever feeling an excess recoil.

Last edited by 2-piper; 09/13/08 01:09 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra