Originally Posted By: J. Stephens
I see so many drillings marked 7,8 mm x 72 that I fear I would by buying something chambered in 8 x 72 Sauer - which I prefer to avoid and is exactly what prompted the question. Thanks again! Jeff

Actually, 8X72 S&S or 8x72 Sauer would probably be a pretty rare bird(look at the price on this little jewel at(choose catalogue No. 122): ( http://www.oldhuntingguns.com/Details.155.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=1&tx_fwwcat_pi1[showUid]=113 ) and I'm not sure if any ammo was manufactured in Germany. Most folk say I'm a little, maybe a lot, odd, but I wouldn't mind having a drilling in 8.1X72R Brenneke, 8X72R Collath or 8mm Tescher as dies and similar brass can be acquired from Buffalo Arms Company( http://www.buffaloarms.com ) and most probably have the "9.3X74R" parent headstamp which you will definitely find on the 9.3X72R cases. Apparently with some "brass magic" they can use the 9.3X74R for the whole lot but you really have to watch the resizing due to the fact that some chambers have "tight" dimensions. Along with the stamps 118/35(118,35), which covers the 0.340" to 0.349" and the 108/49(108,49), which covers the 0.350" to 0.359" range found on the tube will be a couple of Imperial Eagles, "Crown" over "G" and "Crown" over "U". For pre-1912 & possibly pre-WWI, the 1st Imperial Eagle is stamped to note that tube has experienced a powder charge 3 times the service/standard load and a bullet weight 1.33333( 1 1/3) times the appropiate diameter less 0,2mm. The "Crown" over "G"(rifled) is occasionally beside this Imperial Eagle. The 2nd Imperial Eagle, which is below the 1st, notes the tube has experience the effect of a powder charge 2 times the service/standard load with same bullet as the 1st proof. And there is the "Crown" over "U"(inspected) mark beside it. Sometimes the proof load will be stamped on the tube and sometimes the service/standard load will be stamped. A load for a 9.3X72R should commence around 34-35 grains which would probably be a stamp of 2,2 grams GBP(or whatever the powder) with a bullet weight of 185-193(around 12 grams). If you have a 9.3X72R with a 6,6 grams and say 16 gram bullet this is the 1st PROOF LOAD from the top Imperial Eagle stamp. After 1912 rules, the bullet weight and type is usually the only stamp with regard to the load data.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 09/07/08 11:11 PM.