The Tung Oil I used was Formby's, too. And yes they have dryers/hardeners in there as well as gloss enhancers. I used to formulate epoxies and I am familier with some additives that can dramatically enhance gloss. (Byk Mallincrot, German company, incredible stuff.) I was very happy with the Formby's Tung Oil in high gloss. I have yet to play with rottenstone to adjust the gloss some. But I will soon.

Salopian---That is one funny line: "wood that beautiful doesn't grow on trees!!!" hahaha! Also, I really like the linseed oil look, I just haven't been able to get it to really "cure" for me. And they mar too easily, the ones I have done. However, I believe you when you say your customers are very happy with your work. Moreover, how many decades has linseed oil been successfully used by the best gun makers?

I have used Minwax stain in Mahogony to fill and darken, very thin applications, depending on the wood, I may cut it with solvent to make it even thinner. Wet sand to help fill. I hear you about it being oil based and maybe I should try another Behlen stain instead to fill and darken the wood then apply the Blood Red.

All good ideas.

Last edited by Yogi 000; 11/20/06 12:45 PM.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality