Well Homeless, some of us just don't know any better I guess, and in my experience grouse and woodcock don't either. I have killed somewhere in the hundreds of woodcock and likely 30+ grouse with a 1/2oz of #9 and have had pretty much no crippled bird losses. Now I will say both birds don't go far when put down but half of the birds brought to hand shot with 20s and 16s still need a little dispatch. I have used four tenner tubes out of a 20 extensivly and a mod. 42 alot and a Hercules side by alot and found no real difference in performance. What started me on the .410 was early season woodcock when most shots because of the cover are so close that i figured could shoot a little quicker with 1/2oz of 9s and still have a edible bird and along the way found out grouse didn't know the difference either. Never hunted Gambrels yet but have shot some blues with a 16 and will agree with Jerry that those little buggers will run and hide in holes or wherever that makes recovery a real effort if they arent killed in the air but dont really think if you center them they will know if it was a 1/2 oz of 9s or 7/8oz of 7s that that just did them in. I say go for it if you feel confident in you're shooting with the gun you plan on using, say you can break 22+ at skeet with it pretty regularly I think you will figure it out for yourself.