In August of this year I began buidling a side by side rifle using a LC Smith 16 Ga, FW frame. While the LC Smith is not the preferred choice of actions I'm at a point where I hope some of the more enlightened ones on this forum may help. I have fitted the rifle barrels to the monobloc made from the existing shotgun barrels, I have turned them down, and have a finished length of 26 inches. They are chambered for 30-30 Win and the extractor is completely fitted. I fitted a bushing at the end of breech end to give a finished look. I have also bushed the firing pins. I intend to use factory ammo, Reminton 170 grain Core-lock. The question I have is the proofing process. I assume that simply running a few rounds through the gun does not a proofed gun make. I have fabricated a jig to fire the barreled action from while I am a safe distance away. I have read about measuring the action before and after shooting the gun. What would be the keys points to take measurements from? I assume that this is the point to began proofing. It appears that proofing involves testing with ammo that exceeds the norm? Any suggestions are surely welcomed.
Mark