The gunsmiths, blacksmiths, forges and furnaces were more connected than one might think because other than weapons being taking from waring factions, this connection was where most of the transfer of technology occured and it was all centered around the mines and hydraulic power. John Cockerill arrived in the Liege area circa 1817, which was a part of the Netherlands, and he and his family designed/made spinning machines since by law the technology couldn't be taken from Britian. Withh the Meuse River nearby as well as the mines and other essentials, they also started to produce steel and in 1826, according to some sources, had the 1st coke fired blast furnace in Europe. Quality pattern welded tubes takes quality steel and up until the time John Cockerill was shackled w/ the task by William the 1st of the Netherlands, Belgium's steel was lacking. By 1838 Cockerill had it all: blast furnace, foundary, rolling mills and forging mills. So the rolling mills that produced billets could have shortly followed the blast furnace technology of 1826. BUT, revolution was at hand and the Cockerill steel works ceased production during this time and I almost everything else followed(If my memory of history rings true, I think it is here that cotton production left Belgium and headed to the South States(USA)). The Netherlands were dissolved in late 1830 and Belgium had some sort of constitution/ruler by January of 1831 but the Netherlands didn't recognize Belgium until 1838.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 07/15/08 08:22 PM.