It is still a mystery how I was able to get the barrels off but after putting together info from you and other contributors I took the side plates off and realized that the hammers have been replaced, the trigger links have been repaired by welding and the rear pin in the cocking hook has been replaced with a roll pin that is probably larger diameter than the original pin. All of this changes the geometry enough to where the forked end of the hook will not raise up enough to catch the pin in the barrel lug and allow fit up. This also prevents inserting the pin through thee lug and the hook if assembled without the pin. I was able to cock the hammers, which moved the hook to its highest position but the pin still did not clear. I removed the roll pin from the opposite end of the hook and was able to assemble the action easily. Then I was able to reinsert the roll pin. I think the geometry of the hammers is off enough to limit the movement of the hook and I think the larger diameter of the roll pin adds to the problem by slightly limiting the swing of the hook. I had taken the side plates off earlier but didn't understand how the cocking hook worked and needed the forum contributors who provided bits and pieces. Thanks to all.