April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Drew Hause, bushveld, 3 invisible), 838 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,826
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, let me know if you ever find any firearms regulation that has anything to do with common sense! If the LC was made before Dec.31 1898 no problem shipping to anyone. If it was made 1 Jan. 1899 it has to be shipped through an FFL. The action with nothing else is the firearm because it has the serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK--fair enough-- To quote the late Gertie Steinway: "A rose is a rose is a rose-and if you have 4 roses, you have some 80 proof whiskey"!!

I am sure things have changed since that WRA sales manual came out in 1938--some for the good, some "Nicht ser gut"!~! Plastic stocked rifles, instead of traditional walnut-- roll engraving, instead of handwork-- No more A&F, VL&A, Ithaca, Parker, L.C. Smith double guns-

WW11 did a great deal to change all the good quality American firearms.
A late friend, a serious Winchester collector and shooter, always preferred pre-WW11 mfg. Winchesters- His theory. Wartime production of military weapons that had greater tolerances than the pre-War M70's, M12's etc-- influenced the post-War production tolerances- and the lack of good domestic walnut for sporting rifles and shotguns, due to the war demands-- Oh well---

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Fox, this firearms terminology business gets nuts sometimes. I'm pretty sure someone will be along shortly with about a dozen links to show I'm wrong. I still have to stop and think, is that wooden thingy under my barrels a forearm or a forend??? Some references say a forearm is only found on guns with a one-piece stock, while others say the terms are interchangeable. And the New York Times was still spelling potato with an e at the end up until 1988, but Vice President Dan Qualye became an instant idiot for doing so in 1992.

Meanwhile, poor dumb nca225 is still struggling with the difference between "then" and "than". What chance do illegal immigrants have to assimilate when people born and raised here can't manage to do it?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said indeed.. Everything the Gov'ment tries to do to "regulate" our rights under the 2nd. Amendment ends up making no sense at all. Eric Holder and the "Fast and Furious FUBAR" re: Mexican druglords getting firearms from the USA is a prime example.

If I sliced that 12 ga. OO grade "Elsie" receiver/frame in half with an abrasive "chop saw" (we have one in our small metal shop) and sent each half in 2 different shipments, I am sure some BATFE "pencil-dick" would find a way to "bust my chops"-- what a world!

RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eric Holder . . . I realize this is straying away from guns. However, it made me very angry when Holder was talking about prosecuting CIA officers because they used enhanced interrogation techniques--AUTHORIZED BY THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION--on captured terrorists. In that particular case, Leon Panetta--Obama's CIA Director--stood up for his troops and stopped that from happening.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I've now accumulated the following scrap frames, and will take them over to METL later this spring for composition analysis, along with a few more barrel samples ( @ $75 each frown )
Will be nice to confirm the frames were AISI 1020.

1890 Early Hunter Arms Fulton “Transition” L.C. Smith Hammerless

1892 New Ithaca (Hammer) Gun

1900 Remington Hammerless Model of 1900

1909 L.C. Smith 00

c. 1927 Crescent Empire No. 60

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good effort Drew.
This will tell for sure & be very interesting to see.
What a great contribution to the knowledge base here.

I hope by then you might have some more cheap guns of the time that are known to warp & twist so as to tell better the difference between a design problem or a metallurgical problem .

It will be good to see if the better guns had bang for the buck in quality of materials.

I feel like throwing some funds at this worthy investigation.

O.M

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.