April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Tim in PA, Kolar Dickson, fallschirmjaeger, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 416 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,794
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
One problem I've always wondered about, hunting as a nonresident for a long period of time: What do you do with the birds you shoot once you've exceeded the possession limit? Especially with big birds like pheasants, it's pretty hard to eat that many of them. Especially when you're on the road.

Great question! I have a house in SD that I use as a "Bed and Breakfast" for pheasant hunters. It's a nice place to stay, reasonably priced and I cook nice meals for those there. I don't guide anyone. All bring their own dogs to hunt with. They opt to hunt solo or with their friends.

Not all guys get their limits while there for five days. I give the guys birds to fill out their possession limits to take home. They all like eating pheasant so are glad to take them.

I keep the birds I shoot the last five days of my stay. All is legal and above board. Here are some photos of my house.

Thanks for the compliments LeFusil smile

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have a house in South Dakota.....man I love the high plains almost as much as the mountains. Might be where I retire to.

The Ice storm brewing just canceled my trip to SW Nebraska....maybe after it passes.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Was that an accusation.............. or an admission? Hard to tell.

SRH

Wouldn't be a good thing, Stan, for an outdoor writer to be caught exceeding the possession limit. When I lived in Iowa and we were the #1 pheasant state in the country--and I had the time and the inclination to do a lot of hunting--the only way I could stay under the possession limit was by giving birds away. Fortunately, several of the landowners who let me hunt their farms liked pheasant. One of them had enough kids for his own baseball team. Also people at work when I was teaching at Iowa State; soldiers in my Army Reserve unit, etc.

And that was as a resident, with a kitchen in which to cook them and a wife to help eat them. As a nonresident, the only issue I've had was with woodcock, especially back when the possession limit was 6. (And I never hunted as a nonresident for much longer than a week at a time.) Fortunately, woodcock are small. My hunting partners and I stayed in a resort cabin with cooking facilities and would have a woodcock feed or two before heading home.

Looks like the poster has hit upon an excellent solution. Just interested to hear how he does it for a month's worth of hunting.

And by the way, Dustin . . . I agree that the individual to whom you refer deserved to be caught.

Last edited by L. Brown; 12/26/18 10:34 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.