April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, eeb, SKB, tut, 1 invisible), 400 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,802
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

Thanks for your reply.

Now that I've determined that its a 577-500 No.2 chambering, all the back and forth banter about measuring the bores isn't necessary.

I'd really like to know the answer to the question: "... What is the meaning of the "stars" stamped on the breech end of the barrels over the chambers?..."

They are located almost exactly at the center of each chamber. They appear to have been stamped "after" the last refinishing / re-blackening based on the raised edges.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

As the picture showed in my 5th post, I made a chamber cast which extends into the rifling. These barrels have 7-groove Henry-Style rifling which makes measuring across the lands difficult. Nearest can I measure is 0.506" - 0.507" groove dia.

Today I lathe turned a ball gauge to measure the bore diameter. It measured exactly 0.490" in both barrels. This would explain why the barrel flats are marked "40" and not "39". When gauging the bore a 39 gauge would not fit, but a 40 gauge would. (see chart)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, as part of my "Banter" that was the figures, I posted on the bore diameter. .488" for 40 & .492" for 39. Even though you asked about the 40 mark in your original post I got the impression you didn't truly appreciate us answering that part.

The actual cartridge to use could of course only be determined by the chamber cast so was not of any use to try & answer that part without dimensions from the cast.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello 2-piper,

Thanks for your reply.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. But I'm not sure if all the side-tracked back-and-forth debate between forum members on how to measure the bores, and how the gauges worked, and how to use them, really had anything to do with my post. I'm not a machinist and didn't have any of those gauges or access to them.

I simply turned a ball, kept decreasing its size and testing it in the barrels, until I felt a "slip-fit" into the bores - and then I measured it with a micrometer - hence the 0.490" measurement.

anyway -

Here's the results of today's shooting.

Although I never did precisely measure the chamber cast, I got some "new" 577-500 No.2 cases which seemed to match the chamber cast. I inserted the new brass in the chambers, and they easily fit - even when loaded. I loaded 3 different bullets, an fired them. (see below) After firing, I tried slippng some of the .511 dia bullets back into the fired brass, and it was a very close "slide-fit" - perfect!

I'll test some more loads with slightly more powder to increase velocity. Pressures with all 3 loads were light with easy extraction with the fingers.

I hate paper patching so I use that method only as a last resort. Based on my results below, I don't think I'll need to go there.

The gas-checked bullets were both .511" dia and the Woodleigh SP bullets were .510" dia. This rifle really likes the Woodleigh bullets. I think all went well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stix,what's the foam?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
Stix,what's the foam?
Hello justin,

Thanks for the reply.

Its 1/2" dia "backing rod" cut to length. You can buy it at the local hardware store. Its available in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5.8", 3/4", and 1" dia x 25 foot length. Or, you can find it on amazon in 100 foot lengths. That's where I buy it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are welcome.

I'm still trying to discover the meaning of the "stars"stamped on the barrels.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.