March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that what you think of me, Frank? A man with a baby blanket fetish .........really? Just say so. It might save me some time down the road. Just sayin'......

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My reply about the blanket fetish was to John Roberts.

It's beyond me why anyone would want to shoot a .410...the 20ga. is so much more gun.

Just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
.410s are for children....and old men trying to relive their childhoods.

Just saying....

Which old men, then?

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Closest I had to a fOe tin when I was a kid was 20ga.

From reading I'm not sure if you're reliving your childhood or you do it to brag about shooting doves with one...

Sidelock
Sidelock

You seemed to have it all figured out in the earlier posts, but once you do get it figured out, let us all know. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are waiting with bated breath.

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If Stan can kill 15 dove with less than a box of shells, and he consistently does, why should he pound himself with a 20, 16 or 12??? If I could, I would. As for reliving his childhood, I doubt if he could do it then. Some folks would find fault with a perfect sunrise.
Just saying....Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
.410's and 28 gauges are mostly for the relief of boredom or fatigue from "bigger" guns, or for the snob's ego trip brag. I have no problem with the boredom/fatigue, but detest the braggart.

Cuz John might have it figured out....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Fox,
I have but one .410, the boy outgrew the gun in perhaps a month, and is thrilled to be up to a 20 gauge. My wife will go to the range and play with us in a very narrow spectrum of conditions-perfect weather, weekend, her house is cleaned, and the laundry mountain is down to a reasonable, for her, level.
Her damn priorities are different than ours. So, it is just the boy and I, usually.
My problem with the .410 is not what it is, per say, but what it isnt. If we could get Chuck, Stan, Ky Jon, and all these guys who are really good with their .410s into a room and get enough bourbon into them for the truth to come out about how much money they had in figuring the science of the .410 out, it would be sobering for the guys feeding them the bourbon.
The curve is steep with the .410, and the price of admission is always higher, for anything involved with it. Im at a point where it isnt the money, well, not always, anyway, but, the time, to chase the .410 fairy, as it were, instead of just unleashing the 16 or 12 gauge tiger, to do its task, cheaper, and more effectively.
Yes, I could put chokes in my cheap little .410 pump. Then, burn daylight, ammunition, time, and money to find out that at around 25 yards, you need to start thinking twice about whether to take that shot at a wild bird ducking into the conifers at the end of his runway.
Or, just bring the 12, and call it good. Im not real good at pondering things in the midst of a Ruffed Grouse flush. I dont bring a bunch of guns to hunt with, either. Usually, just one.
If you got time and money to figure that stuff out, more power to you. Ive got a full time job, a 12 year old, other bad habit hobbies, and not as much time to hunt as Id like.
Our .410 is mostly a fun toy for the range.

Best,
Ted

Enjoyed that post, Ted.

I went to the range today and took the 30" barreled FAIR Iside .410 S x S, with the intention of doing a little quail shooting practice. I decided to go to station 7 on the skeet range and shoot a few low house birds, reasoning that it was about as close to quail flushing as I could find there. I really wanted to see if the "CYL" tube, which is really a "negative" by measurement (-.006") would hit clays hard enough to be useful in the first barrel for a covey rise. I was using 1/2 oz. of 8s, knowing that it was a much less effective game load than my usual WW 3/4 oz. loads .........kinda stacking the deck against myself intentionally.

I was shooting low gun, to replicate a covey rise, and broke the first one about halfway between the two stakes. Maybe someone who shoots more skeet than me knows what that range would be. I then pushed myself to see how quickly I could kill it, from low gun. I was hitting it very hard at the closest stake, which is plenty quick enough for quail. Again, I don't know that distance, either. So, now I know that I can easily kill quail on the covey rise with that gun, with the "CYL" tube and my 3/4 oz. loads.

I already know that with the MOD tube (.012") at 30 yds. I can kill doves graveyard dead. Now, I know the "CYL" tube is useful for close shots. Point is, testing before carrying a gun in the field is prudent, and confidence building.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
If Stan can kill 15 dove with less than a box of shells, and he consistently does, why should he pound himself with a 20, 16 or 12??? If I could, I would. As for reliving his childhood, I doubt if he could do it then. Some folks would find fault with a perfect sunrise.
Just saying....Gil

My first dove was killed with a .410 J C Higgins S x S, at age 8. I ground swatted him! blush

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good post, Stan-- I'm not gonna, at age 77, take up skeet again (or even SC events) let alone buy a used .410-- But I did break a few 25's at the Quantico Trap and Skeet range back in the 1960's-I was an E-6, and the NCOIC of the armory, checking in and out the shotguns to base personnel- so as a "bonus" I got to shoot a few free rounds- "function testing" the shotguns- mostly M12's and Rem M11's with Cutts comps- (we used the filter tops broken off from cigarettes for"earplugs".

But I am wondering, how do you view the station 8- I believe the late Nash Buckingham considered that a form of "trick shot"he said something akin to this: "Any quail shot at that close range would be pulped, and wasted for the table."

Today, as you may have surmised, my favorite "practice target awing is/are feral pigeons. I've been watching the Dave Carrie shooting videos- on U-tube--If I had my wish- I'd like to try their field decoying shoots for wood pigeons, jackdalls, and crows- with George Digweed as my "coach""

Wonder if he'd let me shoot my "pet" M12 12 ga. I probably couldn't afford a Perrazi, as he shoots. Foxey

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.