April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, Jem Finch, Marks_21), 1,042 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking rifle! I might be tempted to shorten and reshape the lever to fit tighter along the grip line, but that is just me.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

OSS,
Don't doubt that you have an originally stocked G&H. Here is a pic of the long fore end on my G&H. The barrel is 29" long and the fore end is 13 3/4" long. It too is a R2 Lovell.

Anyway, you have a nice rifle.

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 06/24/18 08:54 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Saathoff
Brent, it does look a little longer like it's been extended. Doesn't look like the blue took well there either. Maybe some odd welding in the past. Looks like the safety and set trigger have been worked on. Does the action look slimmed in the back ala Zischang?

Bob, I am no Borchardt expert, being that I have owned exactly 1, but I think that tang is obviously a separate piece. Mine is similar on my Borchardt Schuetzen rifle. The tang being replaced to accommodate a tang sight of course. In this case, the tang does not look in keeping with the rest of the rifle which makes me think someone made a second tang and did not do the rifle justice.

The blue is wrong, the screw is not regulated, and the tang does not fit flush with the receiver.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did the target Borchardt's have the tang sight base integral with the tang?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, Yes it is separate from the rifle. I pulled my Borchardt out of the safe that has the ears on the tang and it looks the same length as this one. I think what has been done with this one is that it once had the ears on the tang and somebody ground them off and then welded up the hole that is there for the staff spring. If you enlarge the picture, you can see where the weld has pin holes created when it gassed off some impurities in the metal.
Steve, I have seen some target models with a neat small base for the shorter tang that was drilled and tapped. I have also seen that same base on some Zischang rifles. Whether Zischang
did them that way at the factory or later, I do not know.

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 06/25/18 10:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If they rust blued the tang, weld dissimilarities wont show up. Other types of bluing will show dissimilarities in metals, but rust bluing should have covered them and be fine.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've been sitting on a Borchardt action for several years, awaiting inspiration. I should probably sell it but these pictures are making my wallet flinch in anticipation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its going to be used as a true Varmit rifle, live critters, best use a lower power external, Unertl 10 x with micrometer adjustments is the one I prefer. Pure target gun, bench rest, more power is appropriate. In the field higher power can be cranky and lower power acquires the target easier.

My opinion only, what works best for you is the right answer.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 06/25/18 11:36 PM.
OSS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finally found the "before pic" to let people see what needed to be done...added it to the original post. Will also add here to save people a little time from having to go back...(thanks to skeettx for the photo help!)

Last edited by OSS; 07/14/18 09:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello OSS,

Yeeee Hawww
Found a way to show your pictures.

just add a .jpg to the end of your string
just before the [/img]

Last edited by skeettx; 07/14/18 07:51 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.