Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are some interesting lots in this auction and I just emailed in a couple of bids. There is a really nice pair of A.A. Brown & Sons 12 bores and a really interesting Boss 16 bore built on a Purdey action. The headliner is a 20 bore Woodward O/U regrettably with replacement barrels by another, but still beautiful to behold. I bet there are no more than a handful of Woodwards existing in this configuration.

Owen
Boxlock
Boxlock

The Woodward didn't sell and looks a steal at the reserve price to me. If only these guns could change hands without 30% on top going in fees. Not that I begrudge Gavin a living - lovely chap. There are some nice collectable hammer/damascus guns coming into the UK auction houses just now and going for very reasonable prices in my view.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem we have in the US is that 30% gets another 25-30% added onto it just getting it exported and sent to us. The days of simple Royal Mail service, getting a gun to us are long gone. I had a hammer gun sent to me years ago for the total cost of $85.00. Today it would be near $550-600.00.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am interested in this gun as it should be a good case study. It is BV1-OQ1. Current Condition as rated by the market is the question. If it were a SXS and in pristine condition (CC1), it would value at BV1-OQ1-CC1 = $40,000. Give it 2X for being a small bore O/U and we get $80,000. What say you all to that tidbit?

If the gun had its OE barrels, I'd expect it to rate about CC4 (Heavy use, but no abuse). 2X BV1-OQ1-CC4 = $36,000. What say you all about that?

According to my current charts, Shootable but needs some repairs and refinishing or refinished with barrels or stock replaced is CC6. So, 2X BV1-OQ1-CC6 = $17,700. Hmmmmm! And?

The Pound is at 1.4 to the dollar. The gun apparently failed to hammer at BPS 20,000 which would have been $28,000. 30% for buyer's premium and shipping would bump it up to $36,400. "Reverse engineering a value to a current condition would give us a CC of level three and a half (CC3.5). That means we would have to describe this gun as between "Significent use" and "Heavy use, but no abuse."

OK, is the auction low estimate off by a factor of double?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

The London auctions are well attended by the "Trade." If a gun is/was all of that it would have been picked up. Irrespective of anyone's mathematics on gun values.

A bit of naivete in this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fair market value, determined by true auction, was $28,000.00. Seller thought otherwise. You can argue that those in the trade would only buy it, to make a later profit, after putting it into a better condition for selling so discounted their price accordingly. That auction is also attended, by well informed non dealers with money, who understood how rare that gun was. You will go a long time before you see another one come up for auction, so there had to be a reason the bidding stopped at $28K. Perhaps the gun was deemed to need a lot of work or the condition disappointed potential buyers. Sometimes reserves just keep guns from selling if set too high as they often are.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon, you are correct in what you say. However, the question for me is at what reserve would it have sold. Big money took a ding when the barrels were replace (without conserving the OE's).

Replaced barrels and/or stock and sleeved barrels raise the question as to whether the barrels/stock had an untimely accident or were shot out. Restoration after an accident is understandable whereas unexplained major repair is a red flag.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 04/22/18 02:14 PM.
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you want to see some closeups of the Woodward, go to Joe Halls website as it was listed for sale there prior to the auction and the pictures remain available.

Owen

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.