I too was interested in buying a new, American-made double. Specifically, a side by side. After field testing one of the new Savage Fox A Grades, I tried my best to buy one. Result: I was sent two guns, both of which had "two-tone" checkering on the stock. Half the panel visibly coarser than the other half. Since then, I've seen photos of other Savage Foxes with the same issue . . . and dealers apparently foolish enough not to send them back!

Maybe two-tone checkering is the new thing and I'm just not up on it. But after two tries, I gave up. If CSMC supplies stocks that looks like that, and if Savage doesn't catch such an obvious screwup . . . well then, I'll either stick with used doubles from American (and foreign) makers that had enough pride to take more care in what they made, and in what they sent out for sale. Or I'll buy new from foreign makers represented by American dealers who wouldn't think of offering crap like that for sale.

And it's too bad . . . because based on my experience with the field test gun I had from Savage (which didn't have messed up checkering), I was prepared to buy one. Prepared to say nice things about the gun in print. I'm not sure what's going on at CSMC and Savage, but if it's representative of the current state of the American firearms business, then I'm glad we don't go to war with guns made and offered for sale by these clowns.

So far, it would seem that CSMC is doing better with their Revelation OU.

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/09/18 02:05 PM.