April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (JBG, 1 invisible), 408 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
GLS #566656 03/05/20 09:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Argo44 kindly translated a couple of pages of Mournetas's book that dealt with the partial rifling of one barrel of the Ideal and a rare example of both barrels being partially rifled. Thanks, Gene:

Nevertheless, it is very rare to find an IDEAL so equipped because on one part the fabrication was complicated and thus onerous and, on the other part, the fouling by black powder posed a problem. This led them rapidly to abandon the concept. To my knowledge no long gun of this type has been made by the Manufacturer since the beginning of the century. But, before closing this paragraph, it’s worth noting that certain barrels, meant for firing ball, were rifled from the exit of the chamber, along the entire length of the barrel. What happiness for a collecter to come upon such a rarity.

The choke initially seen on the barrel of the IDEAL corresponded to a constriction equivalent to that of one caliber. As it is evident that shooting during a hunt doesn’t take place at a constant distance, it was necessary to adapt the chokes according to the ground and thus also was born the half-choke (constriction by a half caliber)

Before the great war, the IDEAL generally carried an open smoothbore barrel on the right and a choke-bored one on the left for barrels 74 cm in length. Bores with half choke on right and full choke on the left on barrels from 65-70 cm. Except for special orders of course. For pigeon shooting models, full choke on both sides was the norm.

Thereafter, that excelent compromise, half-choke on the right and full-choke on the left were kept on all the classic series IDEALs. (see the tables on page 34).

There is another particularity which we are going to find on the barrels of the IDEAL. The (shallow) rifling. For the dispersion of shot when firing at a short distance and for the shooting of ball, a number of IDEAL came, on special order, with the right barrel (unchoked) rifled “SUPRA” beginning in the 1920’s. Previously, on certain models such as the COLONIAL IDEAL, only one length of some 8 cm was striated (rifled) at the beginning of the barrel. This assured the rotation of the ball without perturbing in the slightest the smaller shot. The compromise was a good one and it made its mark abroad to the point that certain of the classic series can be seen with the right barrel provided with such rifling. Such a rarity."

on the right tube, i was rather surprised. the dent described in the auction catalog is at 3:00 o'clock just above the tip of the forearm. it is about 9.85" to 10.6" from breech (in line with the bore), and easily visible inside the tube, but not as "sharp" as description might lead one to expect.

the surprise is the fact this tube is shallowly rifled from chamber to muzzle - not the partial rifling near the muzzle that i was expecting. it conforms with argo's translation of the mourneta's book.

my bore gauge shows .727-8 in the grooves from one end to the other...no choke. its not so easy to stay on top of the lands, but a quick stab seems to indicate about .716. proofed at 18.2 on flats...

so the difference of .11-12 thou, divided by two, would yield 5 or 6 thou depth in the rifling. this is quite evidently an example of the gun in the photo provided above. and it is obviously intended for use with properly sized solid projectile.

best regards,
tom

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 03/06/20 11:29 AM. Reason: correction

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
GLS #566661 03/05/20 10:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there twist to the rifling? If so, can you estimate how much?

I'm still waiting on my Morphy's gun from that auction.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS #567117 03/11/20 07:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

it's unlike a rifle, with grooves deep enough to turn a tight fitted patch or brush, and let you gauge the distance required to complete a revolution.

i can't reliably stay in the grooves, so am reduced to looking through the bore. as best i can tell there is a bit over 1/2 of a revolution in the length of the bore (70cm) - certainly no more than 3/4.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.