One club I was a member for years decided to put in a new trap field concrete. It was decided to extend the concrete to 35 yards. From that back row 18-20 was a very respectable score with the trap machine set in the number three hole. Fun shoot was to shoot first round at 27.5, second at 30 third at 32.5 and last at 35. There were no hundreds there.

Competitive trap or skeet shooting is all about getting into and staying into a groove. Same rhythm, same everything as much as you can. Many shooters will miss if they get the slightest thing to throw them off. Slow pull, broken bird, loud noises, odd behavior of other shooters, like me.

Some of us could care less about minor things and will do them to tweak our friends. I ran a hundred in the 20 and ended up shooting with a friend who was a groove shooter. Same thing every time. Little things would bug him. I beat him in a shoot off doubles 3-4-5. He was a great double shooter and after the first box I knew he would wear me down. So I decided to shoot station four from the left side. Station three and five from the right. It drove him nuts. After the second box I just went left handed for all the stations. When he missed he said he could not figure out why I was suddenly shooting left handed again. Told him that was why he missed, wondering about me and thinking about what I was doing instead of what he was doing. Little things drive some people nuts.