April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Argo44, Vall, Lawrence Kotchek, fab500), 1,016 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody know anything about the prospects for a better quail season in Southern/central CA? I went into the Angeles Natnl. Forest near Santa Clarita (San Francisquito Canyon)very early last Thursday and heard quail calling in many of the side canyons. Is that a sign that they are mating this year?

I also visited the Carrizo Plains NM last week. No quail in the NM itself (that I could hear) but pronghorns and Tule elk, pretty rare in CA. CP is a lotta lonely....just 100 miles as the condor flies from Sunset Blvd. Saw one condor (with a redtailed hawk) for scale, surfin' the thermals on the Temblor Range. DAMN those things are big!

The minute I got out of the rain shadow into the green part of the Coast Range, I started seeing and hearing quail. We gonna have a quail season? (We're clearly gonna have a SNAKE season; nearly stepped on a 4+ ft. rattler in San Francisquito; and had a small tiff with a big red coachwhip, non-poisonous but bad tempered, here in Orange County).

What say ye--any CA quail augurs?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I'm not expecting much. It's just been too dry. Spring and summer quail in the local mountains are misleading. I usually see lots of quail in the San Berdoo Mountains from Memorial Day into August, but have never seen them during quail season. Same for bandtailed pigeons; dozens during the summer but none around the season. Jim Matthews is a local outdoor writer who usually publishes his and others' quail and chukar counts in late summer, and he may still write for Western Outdoor News; worth looking him up. He also published (still may) a subscription bulletin called "Western Birds" or something like that; have not seen it in a few years, but it was good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My regular quail patch is about 10 miles from the south end of the Carrizo, down 30 near the pistaschio fields. I'm hopeful but skeptical that we'll have a good season. I'll settle for a reasonable season. Pen raised birds are entertaining, but not the same as a wild quail flush. Nothing more challenging to connect a shot with in CA from my perspective. I think it's possible it'll be a bit better than last year, since we did get more rain than winter of 06-07.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't beat Carrizo for snakes this time of year; just spectacular.

Very interested in hearing of places to hunt quail in No. California - is it like deer, all the good land is private?

A few years ago I hunted Camp Roberts in deer season and the number of quail was unbelievable. Came back in quail season and there were virtually none.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, Chuck! Enjoy your posts from Torrance. It looks like even the slightly higher elevations in Western Kern/Santa Barbara/Ventura/SLO got extra rain in the spring that we didn't get down here in LA/Orange. So maybe more reproduction of quail than previous year? Fingers crossed; think I'll do another scout in beginning of Sept.; leave the wife at home that time so I can sleep out in quail country and listen really early.

LGF, I see you live (at least part time) in what I consider my home town, the much-maligned Berkeley (I was raised so far out of Willits that I don't consider it home). I lived there from 1962-72 while attending UC, and working to pay for it. Interesting place to live; never a dull moment, at least in those days!

Can you tell me how you got onto Camp Roberts? When I previously lived in CA, one had to sneak in from the Big Sur side (LONG overnight hike). Is it open, or partly open, to civilians now? My Marine baby son just got posted to DLI in Monterey for about a year and a half, and I'd like to revisit some of the spots I formerly had to trespass to get to with him, shoot a pig, find those pesky disappearing quail, etc. (PM me if your answer is "classified").

I've always loved snakes (not so sure aboout some of the Kenya ones....) but I suspect the more rapid ones like racers and coachwhips are NOT a help to the quail population. Red coachwhips in particular seem to hang out in wild cucumber, what we used to call "quail vine" in Mendocino county....

The only place I've hunted quail successfully in northern CA in recent years is in the public area "behind" Lake Mendocino. We fould two large coveys in there one morning in 2002 when I came for my 40th high school reunion. Army Corps of Engineers and their volunteers there were very helpful in telling us where to go. You could probably call them and get a quail forecast. Lots of rattlers there, too--mind your dogs!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Replacement, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find Matthews and/or "Western Outdoor News" forecast. CA Fish and Game used to have a quarterly magazine called "Tracks" that did some kind of bird forecast, but I think it has died for lack of funding. They may publish something online, instead--seems I saw something like that. If/when I find something, I'll share.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, Chuck,

If you ever run out of quail we can surely send some back. We have an abundant population
locally (introduced from CA). I even have some visiting my garden
Our daily quota is 25 birds (if you hit them)!

Great shooting and eating!

JC (Chile)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, JC! We might just have to do that if the drought in Southern CA keeps up. Everywhere in our West, water equals quail.(Maybe we could trade you some snakes--just kidding!) Actually we have lots of quail but often in places where you can't hunt them (like Catalina Island). They seem to favor back yards and gardens; when I was a kid in Northern California every farm wife had a covey that she protected from us hunters--"You can shoot all the jackrabbits and cottontails you like, but leave my pet quail alone!"

I like all quail, but the California variety has the neatest "paint job," I think. (Our mountain quail variety is even prettier, but very hard to hunt--real runners and in very tough terrain). Do you know when California quail were introduced into Chile?

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW -- Last year around our home I never saw a hatch. Adults, yes but not one young one. This year they are all over the place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope DT's indicator is correct. Last year was a bust for wild quail. I shot my first pen bird ever last season and ended up shooting a bunch later. Mind you, I had fun, especially using my 410 on the hen phez, but it wasn't quite the satisfaction of wild birds. Kinda like scrambled eggs and rice without the fried spam. Good, but not a culinary delight like a good crispy fried spam slice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.