May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (welder, battle, R Reynolds), 793 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,642
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#92723 04/27/08 05:13 AM
smac Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi just wondering if anyone knows how the barrels are regulated on the trap models i have a chance to buy one but it thought i read some where that trap models were regulated different to the likes of duck , field and skeet models . I was just after some feed back on things to look for as well when going over a model 21 any tips would be great thanks Scott.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Supposedly the trap barrels were regulated to shoot "high" although I think that's a function of stock dimensions more than anything else. You will occasionally see a Trap 21, particularly the vent rib model, with a perceptible convex bow in the rib. I've read that the barrels of later VR Trap 21's were bent at the factory to help regulate the height of pattern. Possibly that was with guns where the customer ordered lower stock dims but still wanted a high trap gun pattern. Or a really high pattern with an already high trap gun stock. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have my Schwing Book in front of me. but as I remember, "Trap" marked guns didn't necessarily have anything to do with trap shooting - You will occassionally see trap grade 20 gauge guns. Similarly, I have a "Skeet" grade 20 gauge 2 barrel set, and neither set of barels are skeet choked, Both barrel sets are 3" chambers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking at 2&3/4 28" 12gaej game gun with SST, sfe, pgs. It's all original black beauty with feathery Missouri breeks wood stock. Good question, besides shaking the barrels for LACK of "swisssshy" sound what else does one look for?
Me thinks one evaluates one just like any other double, but there is that adjustment screw to watch out for. How does one know it's at last adjustment point (ie no more adjustment for wear to locking mechanism is possible).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I'm looking at 2&3/4 28" 12gaej game gun with SST, sfe, pgs. It's all original black beauty with feathery Missouri breeks wood stock. Good question, besides shaking the barrels for LACK of "swisssshy" sound what else does one look for?
Me thinks one evaluates one just like any other double, but there is that adjustment screw to watch out for. How does one know it's at last adjustment point (ie no more adjustment for wear to locking mechanism is possible).

What are you drinking this morning????

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some time ago there was an aticle in Double Gun Journal by ex-Winchester man Edward Ulrich on 21s. The article contained the copy of a page out of a factory-spec book. The notation therein was that trap guns were to shoot flat unless otherwise specified. My own (Trap grade, trap gun) does indeed shoot flat, which is fine with me as it suits my style.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine shoots flat also. 32in, vent rib, full, full. JW

Sidelock
Sidelock

Respectfully used and lovingly maintained Winchester game gun numero 18168 is pure delight. I luv them side burns on the action as they remind me of ole' Indian arrow points I used to collect in Mohawk Valley NY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister - an afterthought about that adjustment screw. I think the "adjustment" aspect might be a michaelmacintoshism. He has his bad days like all the rest of us. Actually, Winchester just calls it a locking bolt stop screw. Your guess as to what it actually does will be as good as anyone's.

Personally, I regard the screw as kind of silly. For the last century or more break-top guns have employed some variation of a tapered bolting surface, the intent being to automatically take up wear and insure proper seating depth of the bolt. To what gain would someone arbitrarily decide that, no, the bolt should not go in as far as it needs to properly hold down the barrels, but only to here? On my 21 the bolt is set full forward and the toplever is to the right, pretty much like any other double in good condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why is it some think they know more than the WRA engineers and designesr? Stop screw is there to keep the bolt& barrels from wearing when yahoos snap the gun shut. A superior design if yahoos keep the screwdriver out of the slot.,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.