April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Argo44, 2 invisible), 768 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,838
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#92748 04/27/08 12:28 PM
Phail Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At the Southern SXS Shoot Friday I picked uo a rebarelled Wm R
Schaefer 10 Ga Hammer Gun, Awaitng Damascus Barrells seller left at home.
Barrells: 31 1/2 in, 3 3/4 in chambers,Rib-"MAGNUM", on top of
each bbl-"ACTER ROELHER BLITZ", Bottom of each bbl-3 Stars,
bbl flats-"PST" with star inside a circle,"FINITO" and X/X,
On proximal Left BBl-"ARMI GIOVANELLE L&C"
"GARDONE V T (BS) ITALY"
Any knowledge of the Rebarreller? Value Added?
Gun is Has 98% of original Nickle Plating, Screws unturned, 4-pin
lock and Gold oval-original
Excellent condition. Unseen Damascus BBLS May have to be refinished
Any comment greatly appeciated.
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I think the inscription you are seeing is "Acier Boehler"{ steel by Boehler}. If so, it is a fine steel from Austria I would guess. For a shooter a set of extra barrels seems really neat. Do you think the original barrels might have been plated, too ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No info for you on the folks who did the rebarrel, but "acier Boehler blitz" means that the steel is "Blitz" from the Boehler works which is definitely good stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm... Looks like we 'doubled' on this one Daryl!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, Sounds like you did good, hard to go wrong with a Schaefer, Pictures we want pictures ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving school founded by Cesare Giovanelli is in Val Trompia. I suspect the insciption means tha Cesare and a brother whose first name started with "L" did the barrels.

Phail Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got this gun from a Dealer of High Grade but not Hammer Guns. He told me it cost more for the rebarrelling than the gun was
worth and he had the Damascus barrells at home. I suspect the they are in
good shape as the rest of the gun is great. At first I
thought
it was refinished but a closer look showed unturned screws. With
Nickle plating it would be very hard to remove screws wiyh out
some minor damage and the slots are perfectly inline.
I doubt if the barrells are plated or the dealer would have
mentioned it.
Got a Heck of a deal even if I never get the Damascus BBLS
Will try to get pictures on Tuesday.
Thanks
Bill

J W McPhail
Phail Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got this gun from a Dealer of High Grade but not Hammer Guns. He told me it cost more for the rebarrelling than the gun was
worth and he had the Damascus barrells at home. I suspect the they are in
good shape as the rest of the gun is great. At first I
thought
it was refinished but a closer look showed unturned screws. With
Nickle plating it would be very hard to remove screws wiyh out
some minor damage and the slots are perfectly inline.
I doubt if the barrells are plated or the dealer would have
mentioned it.
Got a Heck of a deal even if I never get the Damascus BBLS
Will try to get pictures on Tuesday.
Thanks
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

It sounds like it could be an Italian gun with some of the best barrels around. Bohler is a steel company in Austria. Still in business. The Blitz means Lightning. They are reputed to make very light weight barrels that are very strong, mainly for the better German makers.

If you could provide a picture of the markings.... There could be a date stamp.

If it is an Italian gun, you would really want those damascus barrels! It would be a very rare bird. If it is German / Austrian, they often used some of the better damascus on the market.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

McPhail:

If you think you have pattern welded Italian tubes, I don't know if we could wait till Tuesday to find out. The new tubes have an Austrian origin as mentioned a couple times and more info can be found here at: http://www.bohlersteel.com/ . From the info you have provided, the new tubes were proved in Gardone post 1950 w/ "STAR in CIRCLE) over PSF & FINITO(1923-1950 would have a crown instead of a star) and the choke marks(2.11.1962 or was that the date for "**" over "PSF" for over 17k psi or both). I'm curious if the 3 stars are choke or preliminary or provisional proof. The "PST" you mention is "PSF"(Polvere Sensa Fumo) which is smokeless proof in contrast to "PN" - pulvere nero. I stumped a little on the "X/X" unless it is for the number 20 added to the 1945 for the code system.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 04/27/08 07:19 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.