March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a very nice Belgian 12 guage double from a guy who bought a bunch of
guns at an estate sale and didn't know what he had. He thought it had extractors,
I could see it had ejectors. It was marked on the barrel with the name of a gunsmith
Andreas Lauenroth--Budapest whom I assume sold the gun out of his shop. Markings
on the water table and barrel flats show that the manufacturer was Manufacture Liegeoise D'Armes a Feu.
So I've been trying to do research on it. I found a reprint
of their 1910 catalog and found the model in there. Recently I found an online
directory of Budapest from 1900 and found an entry for the gunsmith.

Nev (name) : Lauenroth Andreas
Foglalkozas (occupation) : puskamuves (gunsmith)
Kerulet (district) : IV.
Cím (address): vaczi u. 60.

First of all, anyone familiar enough with Budapest to tell me whether vaczi utca in district IV was a good place to have gun shop?

And of course, more information on Manufacture Liegeoise D'Armes a Feu would
be appreciated. And if anyone has ever heard of this gunsmith, that would be great.

Now here is the intriguing part. The shotgun has an engraved stock shield with a
crown, below that are the initials DNGY with the D and Y kind of small and the N
and G large and entertwined. I am guessing the crown indicates royalty, any
ideas on how to find whose initials these are? I'd be happy to send pictures. I can't
figure out how to post them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ML was a huge arms maker, similar to FN, and also produced SxS shotguns for sale under the name of distributors or gunshops
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/art...%20feu%20gb.htm
You may be able to identify the date of manufacture using this chart

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc - I've no information to help, only encouragement to continue. You have set foot to an intersting road. it may lead nowhere or to some enlightenmnet. No matter - you will be the better for your efforts.

See my PM for help with photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good photos will tell much more, than thousand words.

Geno.
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the list of dates, I've seen that before, mine doesn't have the letter codes
so I assume that it was made before 1922 which would be consistent with the catalog
and the directory. Thanks for the encouragement. Is there a thread on how to post
photos?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a link to a photobucket account that I just created

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/PhysDoc/

RevDocDrew, I think we may have a mutual acquaintance in common,
do you know Dale Edmonds who refinishes damascus shotgun barrels?
Dale is a good friend of mine and in fact he spotted that the this shotgun
had ejectors and not extractors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks RevDocDrew, there is a lot of information summarized on that link you
posted. My shotgun has 12 and C in the diamond, so it is between 1898 and 1924,
it has the markings for acier cockerill with the rooster which I think only
Manufacture Liegeoise D'Armes a Feu used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure about your rooster marking, but acier cockerill simply means cockerill steel. Cockerill made the steel for barrel makers, much like Krupp did in Germany. I have seen many Belgian, French, Swiss, and even German guns with cockerill steel barrels and so marked. I am sure many other have as well.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

when I first started researching this shotgun on the internet, I googled
"acier cockerill" and found this website
http://piterhunt.ru/Library/satinskiy/kleyma/index.htm
I had a Russian friend translate the pertinant portion. I've lost his e-mail, but the impression he gave me was that while cockerill steel was commonly used by many makers, like ChiefShotguns points out, only ML would use the rooster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.