May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (KY Jon, CJF, Themauserkid, Birdog, 1 invisible), 349 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Per the suggestion of the members, when looking for a nostalgic africa gun, I bought a 450-577MH gun, not a military gun, but something that came from africa that was some poor south african farmer's gun. I am having a blast with it, but in CA, we will no longer be able to shoot lead (in Condor County, about 1/3 of CA) I wanted to take a pig with this gun. So here is my question

The bore of most MH works best with bullets about .461 - .466 (from what I am told). What should I do, use .458 dia barnes and patch them? Barnes used to make .465 bullet and still have some available, would this be to big? Are cast bullets typically larger than jacketed bullets?

Thanks for the advice

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have some solids made from pure copper. If you want expansion, make some hollow cavity bullets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry:

There are a couple ways to approach the problem, but it would be a good thing to know the actual dimensions of the bore. Upsetting a soft lead slug in the bore and measuring the slug is the usual way of determining actual dimensions.

If the groove diameter was indeed .466" then paper patching would be an interesting, and I suspect rewarding, experiment. If the bore is much smaller than that there would be little room for the paper. I know a patched lead bullet can be well over groove diameter, but the copper alloy bullet will be considerably harder than lead.

If you want to be a real traditionalist, the copper alloy could be wrapped with the thin teflon tape that is used to seal threaded pipe joints. This has been used with good success with lead bullets, and I see no reason why it would not work here. It might be just the ticket if your bore was .460 or .461.

Then again, it might be that the bullets will work fine out of the box. It all depends on your bore diameter. I don't expect that the monometal slugs will "bump up" much to fill the bore like lead will. Howsomever, if the bore is .460 the .458 slugs may work just fine as is. You are in uncharted water here and are sailing blind without the bore dimensions. Once you have that, you will be able to find a system that will work.

On the other hand, you could just try shooting the bullets and see what happens... <g>

Best of luck,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW, teflon tape usually comes in two thicknesses for plumbing. The stuff on the red plastic spool is thicker than the stuff on the blue spool.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one of these for a while. It was a bear to get to shoot. The guy I sold it to did better. We both used lead bullets of course, but what I would add here is that these rifles have an immense amount of taper to the bores. So, slug you rifle at the breech, because the muzzle will be very very different. Also, they have seven grooves so they are difficult to slug accurately.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the ideas of teflon tape, it might be much eaier than paper patches.

I haven't slugged the bore yet.
The bullets I'm using shoot pretty good (but could be better, the bore is pretty clean) if I do my part with the open sights. They measure about .464. It is hard to tell with all of the lube on them.

I'll try the .458 plain first, then with teflon.
What do you think would happen if I tried the .465 copper bullets?

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
I would want to know the tightest part of the bore before I put a copper bullet thru a gun like this. If you're way off on diameter the wrong way, I'd worry about excess pressure. Possibly you can shoot a lightly loaded lead bullet thru it into water to capture it then measure the bullet?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,
Great idea! That would be an sure way to check it.

Thanks

Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.