May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, battle, fullandfuller, SKB, Jimmy W, Gerry Addison), 838 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

David, the Winter 2007 issue of DGJ carries an article on Jim Hall's Parker AAH that, as I remember, was the first Parker to sport Whitworth barrels. I can't locate my copy however, so I don't know the serial number.

Dean

Almost 36K for cut barrels! That why it's been there for a while.

Integrity is like virginity, only you can give it away and only once!

W.& C. Scott Gunmakers used Sir Joseph Whitworth's Fluid Compressed Steel Barrels, starting in 1882

Dave Riffle
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sal......Theres a turn in the history books! Would be most interested in your further Info'I was asked a question here, Did any of the London Gunmakers run there machine-shops with Steam-Power?Thought this question might be "Up your Alley"? Pictures would be "Grand"(So much to learn, So little time.) cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first I see L C Smith offering Whitworth in ads or catalogs is 1894.

Sidelock
Sidelock

cc/dt
Certainly we Blackcountry artisans used water power in the gunmaking industry, barrel forging etc.,in fact there is an Industrial Estate at Halesowen that was built around a river to power the machinery and many outworkers set up around that brook including Brett Parsons Leatherwork, Brady's, Clive Lemon et.al.
I don't know about 'The Smoke' guntraders as my Bonneville,Bullet, and Rocket only ever made it to the Ace Cafe at Watford.Any way your older than me.Ha Ha.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you imagine some jamoke taking a hacksaw to a set of Whitworth tubes on an AAHE Parker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waterpower as source of industrial power for weapon factories was well developed by at latest, mid 1600s, even in remote Sweden. Don't know when steam was displacing water power. Interior layout of factories did not change much because of transition to steam. Both power sources were external to workshop buildings.

What steam did allow was more flexibility in locating major weapons factories. No longer needed to find nice river or build dam to have power. Steam also allowed, at least in principle, factories to operate independent of rivers icing up, of droughts, of flood damage.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found a couple pages loose from a DGJ...on one was an article by david truesdale entitled "Why Parker"...seems he is a Lefever fan & was correcting facts in an earlier parker[spring 2002] piece.
he says lefever had first whitworth tubes in1889 ..parker in1894
if that helps any
cheers fanc

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.