May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KY Jon, cable, Argo44, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 462 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,505
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88570 03/19/08 05:03 PM
QTRHRS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a source for a couple of ounces of 1% silver nitrate solution. I was told that a gentleman who was a stocker for
Browning sold it but I have no further reference.

Thanks,
Fred

A medical supply house is your best bet. Used in eyes of newborns to prevent infections. Have no idea of the strength, but you can always dilute. Regards

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with your dentist. He may have some.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good photo store that has black & white developing chemicals will have it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be aware that if you purchase by mail there is a HAZMAT shipping fee that is about the cost of the product.
If you purchase crystals, you will need a scale and be familiar with standard chemical handling practices to make a dilute solution.
I purchased the crystals and made a solution in water with no problems.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dentist probably wouldn't be the place to look (unless it's a REAL old guy)....they haven't use silver nitrate for many decades.
Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred, There is a Branch of Physician Sales and Service Co.(PSS) in Clackamas 253 929-1700 that can get you 4oz of 1% Silver Nitrate for about 25-30$. They get it from a manufacturer in Jacksonville Florida named Healthlink. The PSS part number is 104830. It would be easier for your doctor to order it for you because it may be a little bit of a hassel for a customer service person to do an order for someone who does not have an account set up, but they might do it. It depends on who you get to talk to. Lots of doctors order from this company. Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

From another bbs.

"In addition to some of the sources mentioned above, you may want to try Photographers Formulary. I've ordered from them numerous times (silver nitrate as well as other hazardous chemicals) and have never been charged the hazardous shipping fee. "

"Karen Jackson, May 09, 2003; 01:15 p.m.
Hi Colm and all others,
Our Company is Tri-Ess Sciences, Inc. in Burbank, CA we are a major supplier of Photographic Chemicals and we specialize in selling small quantities. We can provide you will Silver Nitrate and can ship small amounts with no hazard charges. Please visit our website at: http://www.tri-esssciences.com Click on "Chemicals" on our homepage and then click on "Photographic Chemicals". Hope to hear from you soon.
Karen Customer Service at Tri-Ess Sciences, Inc."

I found their website
http://www.tri-esssciences.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok. I want to know what silver nitrate is used for in playing with guns. Please? Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

My recollection is that there's a "salt wood" test for Brownings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SILVER NITRATE is used to test BROWNING shotguns and rifles built from about 1970 to 1974 for the presence SALT or drying salts in the wood of the butt stock or fore arm. Sometimes the test is much easier, just pull the stock and look at the metal under the wood. A few weeks ago there was an auction with some high grade Browning bolt action rifles with serious salt wood damage. I thought about buying one of these rifles and burning the wood and sand blasting the rifle metal and building a great shooter, but I passed on it. Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: john dozier
A medical supply house is your best bet. Used in eyes of newborns to prevent infections. Have no idea of the strength, but you can always dilute. Regards

Has not been used for newborn's eyes for years. Erythromycin ointment is used instead. At one time penicillin was tried but caused too many allergies.

Try your local independent pharmacy.

J King RPh

JJK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.