May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (cable, Lloyd3, Canvasback13, R Reynolds, Pwog, GETTEMANS), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,551
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#88453 03/18/08 07:45 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The tumble of the US dollar has a big impact on gun values/prices.
The math is simple – and to keep it simple I’m not adjusting for inflation and I’m using average historic currency rates converted to Euros. e.g. typical averages for Spain, France, Italy, etc., (but not for UK Stg£s.)

For an American shooter to buy a Continental import:
In Summer 1997 to buy a Euro1,000 gun it took USD1,100.
In Summer 2001 the same Euro1,000 gun cost USD 900.
In Winter 2002 the Euro1,000 gun cost USD 1,000.
Today, the same Euro1,000 gun costs USD 1,578.
It is not entirely reliable to use these figures for today’s values because many European gun exporters “swallowed” – at the expense of their margin – some of the currency hit.

Conversely, for a European shooter who wants to buy a gun in the USA
In Summer 1997 to buy a USD1,000 gun in the USA cost Euro909
In Summer 2001 the USD1,000 gun cost Euro1,111.
In Winter 2002 USD1,000 gun cost Euro1,000
Today, the same USD1,000 gun costs Euro634.

So will fine guns in the US now start to return home to Europe??
Will we see US dealers advertising in Shooting Gazette?
Km.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe this means some Euro gunmakers will open factories in the US????

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Euro gunmakers will open factories in the US????

No way. Many Europian gun importers from US quit this business because of too many US restrictions. Tuomo comes to mind first of all. Dollar is low, but gun from US interest is lower.

Geno.
Geno #88463 03/18/08 08:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It will be interesting to see if the French show up at the Reno show the last weekend of this month. They used to come to pick up antique French guns at extremely low prices in comparison to France.

Pete #88469 03/18/08 09:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't think the sports over in Europe could pay the going rate for the American Colts and Winchesters.
These make the Purdey look like a bargain.
I'm not sure, you guys over there know what big cash is for a firearm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Jagermeister

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is possible. however, we need to bear in mind that many guns exported to the US in the past were sold for alot more than they are worth here and the seller will want his money back. A UK dealer is unlikely to give it to him.

the other thing is the fear of 'home mechanics' and 'custom gunsmithing' by 'master gunsmiths' carried out in the US withot due regard for the item being worked on.

There seems a big divide in the US between the incredibly knowledgeable and sophisticated buyer/user/ owner of British guns and the very ignorant bodge merchants who seem quite happy to butcher the guns despite their lack of expertise.

Guns taken out of proof is an obvious example by all those lengthening chambers but there are many more horror stories - a big 'buyer beware' sign needed for re-imports. Also note that guns sold in the UK at auction as re-imports attract furter tax on the hammer price of between 5% and 15%.

Still, I'm always open to offers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of good reasons why the price is not yet high enough for fine Brit guns held it the USA to "flow back home." The further flow to USA is likely to be dampened, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno,
I had a mfr license for a few yrs. I believe it's easier to manufacture in the US than to import, especially something like sxs guns. I believe the ATF pays more attention to mfr's of 'black guns' than true sporting guns that have little or no gangster appeal. That means usually ATF visits are infrequent to non-existant and little hassle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why sell a Brit gun living in America for almost ten years - back to the Brits? The first of the British wave was the best to come over.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting comments.

LG – this side of the pond we do recognise the value of a gun, but it tends to be an appreciation of the beauty of either shooters or museum pieces. Shooters are used, a lesser grade Greener for rough shooting and grandfather's H&H or Purdey for more formal occasions where it is less likely to get dinged. Personally I never could get worked up over a 1911A for any reason, even if it had ivory grips (or worse, pearl!)However, I can see why someone would pay a premium because it had a famous owner and then lock it away, like some of the gold inlaid presentation guns, as an investment.
As for your comment “The first of the British wave was the best to come over” I guess you’re talking guns, as the Mayflower lot were trouble from the word go and everyone from James I to Cromwell wanted riddance of them and their mates!

Small Bore – interesting points; agreed on the lack of proof. Also, I did not know about the addition of 10/15% on the hammer price. Is that an extra fee to the auction house? That, coupled with VAT and duties would erode quite a bit of any saving. Will have to do more sums.

Km.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kerryman, the cost of new European guns hasn't yet caught up with the drop in value of the $ vs the euro--but it's headed in that direction. I've heard a rumor that new Spanish gun prices may go up as much as 25% on this side of the pond.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell ....I thought you were talkin Rock n Roll man????
rock on
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Early on, I think the better British guns came over in a wave - the ol'boy's guns were sold by the family before his bones grew cold in the grave. Those American dollars looked pretty good then to those football ruffians!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holt's auction prices today sez somebody has money!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is still plenty of money for really nice guns, London sidelocks and high grade Americans. Bet our dollar is still in play at Holt's and these guns will find their way over here.
The guns from Continental Europe and the much too common Brummie Ble are a hard sell these days. Just to many of them floating around.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank God for Turkey, eh.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, those "much too common Brummie Ble" sold quite nicely yesterday, along with the BLNE's, too. Of the nine (all but one were 3" guns) fowler/pigeon guns, two SLNE's sold spot on my system estimate, two BLE's sold for 1.7 times my estimate, and five BLNE's sold for 1.8 time my estimate. Looks like big boxlocks draw a pretty healthy premium.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did I not say, the "common Brummie Ble."
Gamegun choked and proofed.
Pigeon guns are a different lot, they make the owners into sports - pigeons or not!
...but mostly not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh!! Silly me. I thought you were refering to all birmingham boxlocks as "common." OK, so the 12 bore boxlock ejector game gun is the common one? Pigeon guns, fowlers, small bores, big bores, and non-ejectors are not "common?" Don't think I agree with that, but I'll run down the prices in a couple of days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

People are not out of money. Some people are out of credit not money. Those who have ready to spend cash are now in a position to go bargan hunting. Maybe some of you have seen a drop in double prices but I have not seen it yet. If the economy slows down more it may come for low to mid grade guns but not high grade guns.

Just as real estate prices are all over the board with major markets having about a years supply of homes for sale, so will the ten of thousands of low to mid level grade guns be under pressure to drop the price for a quick sale. I doubt you will see any major change in the high grade gun prices. After all there are so few of them that it is not that large a market and someone with money will always be looking for his dream gun.

Overseas sales are down I am sure due to the falling dollar. But we had several good periods to buy on the cheap with the stronger dollar. Maybe we bought all the good guns up already and only have tired old Beasleys to pick over.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'm not into sellin' the place, or taking advantage of the needy ...and perhaps you should learn to spell ol'boy!

Sidelock
Sidelock

A sample of fourteen typical Birmingham boxlocks at holt's 20March08 auction averaged 1.06 of my system estimates. So, I'd have to say there is no lack of money chasing common guns at this time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.