May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, LeFusil, Calgary Bill), 830 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,394
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at Roy's summary, and at the vast majority of American guns that can be had to dabble with - that is, without going to the poor house. I was shocked to see such low prices on lower to middling grades. A good woolen jacket will cost you more than 50% of 'em!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 03/10/08 09:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeh, just last week I looked at good ole' late 40s vintage Mod. 29 .22cal Savage priced at astonishing $180. Almost brought that lil' trombone home with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best deals around for my money are those great American guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well the dollar is in nose dive, so over seas guns are out of reach right now because the dollar is so weak. On top of that many American guns are still in good shape, in good numbers and are easy to feed shells that you can afford. So when you get right down to it it makes sense to buy American.

Ithacas are still cheap, Lefevers are still a decent buy. Not hard to find a Sterlingworth with a lot of life left in it for less than a grand. Shooter of almost any brand can be found for less than a grand. Many for half that much. What else can you do to have fun and then get your money back out of the gun later?

But is there much more fun than a .22 and a pocket full of bullets? Just like when you were a kid. OK, not quite. You need a scope to replace your long gone eye sight. But a man/boy and a .22 are still a cheap pile of fun to have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And tough as frickin nails, I know a few like to express their opinions on the term BU but I've made a few out of state hunting trips and while I couldn't depend on any of my gear holding up which includes my truck the one thing I could always depend on said I-T-H-A-C-A on top of the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the middle grade (2,3) early Ithaca Flues are the biggest bargains. The engraving on them is very good and the wood and checkering are better than anything else for the same price. I am partial to 16 gauge but the Flues 16s are just heavy enough to swing good and just light enough to carry all day.

I think the early American 16s are a bargain because generally they don't sell at a huge premium over the twelves and are lighter yet good for a 1 ounce load or even 1-1/16oz.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/10/08 11:45 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

By buying the American guns produced in the early 20th century we have the honor of owning a piece of history, these are guns built by the men who saved Europe in WWI and their sons who saved it again in WWII.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ithacas and the Smiths are still decent buys. All the others, in anything other than 12ga, are pretty pricey. And you have to go with an American 16 to get something close to the "game gun" feel you get with a Brit 12, or many European 12's for that matter. Then all you have to do is deal with the short, often dog-legged stock.

I just swapped a very nice NID 16. Decent dimensions, got about $1100 on it as part of a trade--which means the gun shop will probably sell it for $15-1600. I'm happy because I made money on it, and the Merkel 12 for which I traded weighs almost exactly the same as the Ithaca 16.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On the other hand, the American high grade prices are going thru the roof. Looks like these collectors have not felted the pinch at the pump, and no wonder why they look down their noses at many of us!
Lowell's thought on being a player...pass on that shooter and save your pennies for that big league gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem is...Guys like me have to save their pennies for the shooters and hope we get a big league gun left to us by that rich Uncle.

IMO - Remington doubles seem to still be priced reasonable and you get to own a good ole' American classic. Turn of the century Stevens (when they were competing with the big boys) seem to be on the bargain list as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.