April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, Roundsworth, JDH, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Print Thread
#86431 03/05/08 05:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone ever heard of this maker?

I asked once before, on another forum, and here's what I know.
Tadeusz Jaruszewski was a early 20th century gun maker, in Posen, Poland. Barrels were importrd from Suhl, Germany, or Belgium, depending upon how those countries were getting along. My gun has Belgian proofs on the barrels. According to the one person that I corresponded with, Jarusewski was a maker of "Best Guns" and one of Europes most respected gunmakers, at the time. I can not confirm this. According to that person, TJ also made ammunition. He sent me scans of newspaper ads, and catalog pages. All four major Posen museums contain catalogs and advertisements, but all four state that between the Americans, Russians, and the Nazis, no actual guns are known to exist.

My source gave me e-mail addresses to all 4 major Posen museums, but only one ever responded. However, after one or two correspondences, they never contacted me again.

If there is anybody on this board who can shed any more light on my gun, please do.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nr. 6429 A&D system hammerless SxS shotgun with choked steel barrels & beautiful engraving, quadruple Greener bolting 12 br and 16 br.
Nr. 6430 same firearm but with ejectors in 12br and 16br.

Me go to bed now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the stamping "Poudre Vive" in the illustration at the chamber end of the barrels would indicate Belgian made and proofed barrels. Someone that knows more of the language than I do might could help here, but I think that means either Vivacious Powder or Strong Powder, depending on who does the translation, as opposed to black powder, and is commonly found on French and Belgian guns. Not Polish or German.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for bringing this 'Koh-I-Noor' to my attention again ole' Chief. I was pretty last time I had a peekaboo.
Herr Weber, I regret to inform you, but the folks who could shed more light on this craftsmans firm died 2 to 4 decades ago.
Happily, this riddle can be solved through simple translation. Established in 1901, warehouse and distributorship of arms and ammunition with their own target range, numer 6429/6430 is obviously of Belgian manufacture. Ah, that naggin Fabryka Broni (arms factory) yes but like Otto Bock of Berlin, or Griffin & Howe of NY.
Congratulations on your ownership of a wonderful custom by Jaruszewski doppelflinte luxus from Liege Belgique in Silesian, Thuringian, or Poznanski style.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, are you folks saying the entire gun was made in Belgium? Or just the barrels? (That is what I originally thought). Has anyone ever heard of Mr Jaruszewski before?

Would posting more photos help here?

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter:

Any chance of getting a pic of the barrel flats or the water table? Or are they any marks on the flats or receiver?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My camera won't take a clear photo that close up. The barrel flats have belgian proof marks on them. The water table also has Belgian proofs. I guess that settles something. The barrels, as well as the action are Belgian. Now, I still need to figure out:

1- Did Mr. Jaruszewski buy barreled actions and finish them? Or,
2- Did he buy complete guns from Belgium, and put his name on them?

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter:

If the finished/final proofmarks are on the longarm, then it was finished and submitted for proof in Belgium. Are there just provisional proofs or is there a whole set?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/08/08 04:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.